Authentic Reindeer Farm Visit with Reindeer Safari
Come and meet the most iconic animal of Lapland! Your guide will drive you in a very small group (never more than 8 people) to one of the most traditional reindeer farms in Lapland. Those family herders are based just outside of Rovaniemi, Finland, on the lovely shores of a peaceful lake. From our perspective, they provide the best experience possible when it comes to both knowledge and service.
Two different tours are possible with a different approach for each of them : the long visit that will focus on the lifestyle of herders (1) or a shorter visit with a long 2,5km safari (2).
(1) You may opt for the first visit of the day at 9:00 (or 9:30) : while taken in the surroundings, you will learn about the reindeer from the herders. They will show you around the traditional farm and, because it is the first visit of the day, you will be given a chance to feed them their favourite food, lichen, which to reindeer is like chocolate! During this visit, you will also have the opportunity to test your driving skills with a short loop sleigh ride of 400m (more or less 2 min of ride) before having some time around the fire in the company of a herder who will answer all your questions and share their passion with you.However, as we need snow, this small loop ride is only available when we have enough snow (usually December - March).
(2) You may also prefer to enjoy a visit with a long sleigh ride (14:00). Once you arrive with your guide to the farm, you will be invited to take a sit in a sleigh pulled by a reindeer (please note that this option is only possible from November to March as the safari needs enough snow to operate). The reindeer sleigh ride is an old way of travelling or carrying loads. As you will go through the snowy forest and white scenery, you might spot some other arctic animals. When you come back from the safari, a warm cup of coffee or tea and traditional snacks will wait for you on the farm. The herder will explain you about their lifestyle and reindeer husbandry ; this is the best time to ask questions and feed your curiosity! Before leaving and heading back to Rovaniemi, you may ask your guide to spend a bit more time in the farm if you would like to.
|Best price guarantee|
|No hidden costs|
|Difficulty: Very easy|
What is included
- Professional guide
- Professional winter clothes
- Visit of an authentic reindeer farm
- 2.5 km sleigh ride safari (Option possible only between December - March)
- Hot beverage and cookies
The start times of the tours are the following:
Visit Only (79€/adult)
December – April : 9:00
Mai – November : 9:30
Visit with Safari (120€/adult)
December : 9:00 or 14:00
January – March : 10:00 or 14:00
Please select the correct start time according to the experience you are willing to take. Be careful in December as the Visit Only and the morning Visit with Safari are both departing at 9:00. Please note that is not possible to get the sleigh ride safari once in the farm because the timings are different.
The duration of the complete experience (Visit of the farm + Sleigh ride safari) with transportation is 3 hours.
The visit of the reindeer farm and/or the safari may be limited in number for the safety and wellness of the animals. We recommend to book in advance, especially in peak season. In case the sleigh ride safari is fully booked, you will be notified in the shortest delay and will be offered to keep or cancel the visit, without fees.
Hotel pickups commence prior to the start time. Your pick up time will be confirmed by email at least one day prior to departure.
COVID-19 : Your safety is our priority! Because of the Covid-19, we have taken additional measures to limit the risks of contagion and similar risks during our tours. Now more than ever, it makes even more sense for us to keep our philosophy of small group tours and to refuse mass tourism. Check our sanitary policy here.